Skip to main content

I Have to Use My Own Money?

There is nothing like being in New York for the holidays.  The Christmas tree is being lit, the stores are flooded with people from all fifty states, and the bustling streets smell like roasted peanuts!  I love it!  Well, my boys wanted to go downtown as usual to catch some Black Friday sales.  I really did not mind because I like the never-ending action of the city.  My oldest wanted to go to the NBA store.  It is a fantastic store full of NBA jerseys, posters, and basketballs.  He walked in the store and it was if he forgot why he was there. 

"Son, do you know what you want?", I asked. 

"Umm...no!  Well, I think I want to look for some Wizards jerseys or shorts!" 

They did not have them.  So he didn't know what to do.  So we're walking...and walking...and walking.  I could tell that he was a little unsure also because he had to use his money.  I know when I have a little pocket change, everything is given extra consideration. 

Well, on to Toys R Us.  This place was straight mayhem!  Children everywhere begging for gifts. Parents everywhere...begging for gifts!  Daddies toting incredibly large stuffed animals while mothers are asking them to also hold the oversized toy robots in the other hand!  That place is crazy during the Christmas holidays. 
Well, If you are familiar with the NY Toys R Us, you know there is a ferris wheel IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STORE!!!!  He wanted to ride. 

"Dad, can I ride?", he asked.

"Sure baby!  You have your money?"

"I have to pay for it?", as his mouth is wide open.

"Yep!", I responded with a slight laugh.

We  never got on the ride.

Money is good to have.  We sometimes have it, and sometimes we don't.  I want to teach my boys the value of money.  I want to teach them that everything they see they don't need or don't have to have. How do you teach this?  I would love to hear your strategies.  I am NOS...especially during the holidays during a recession.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before you go, I have to tell you this...

My wife and oldest son had been feverishly preparing for this for over two years. A sojourn to Egypt is what monopolized the attention of this house for about the past week. We've been packing, buying last minute items, and anticipating an almost 24-hour travel. As my wife was packing at the gorgeous time of 4:15 am, I was writing some thoughts to my son. I was giving him advice-technical, moral, physical, and spiritual advice. Even while cutting his hair last night, I was advising him. At the end of the letter, I gave him my blessing. I wrote a letter to Paula as well. And just like the one to my son, I gave her the same type of advice, just more seasoned for her needs. And at the end of the letter, I gave her my blessing. I packed the letters away in their suitcases. They won't see them until they reach their hotel in Egypt. I learned and was reminded of a couple of things from their upcoming experience. First, perseverance has its rewards. They stuck this program out fo

Running with the pack

53:45 unofficial.  That was my time for the Veterans Day 10K race I ran.  53:45 unofficial.  My goal was to knock off some minutes from my 10K last year.  I knocked off about 5 minutes; I am happy about that.  Yet my time was 53:45 unofficial. I had a very good pace starting out.  I actually changed my running style some months ago to conserve a bit of energy.  It worked.  But during the race, I stopped...three times to be exact.  Once for water, the second time I am clueless about, and the third was because I really was tired (next time, I will stay off the late night movies and donuts before race day!)  But that was not my lesson.  My lesson was that I needed to stay in a pack, run with other people to keep a constant pace.  Why is that so important?  Well, I, The Bassman, am a very successful introvert (at least I can be).  I know how to be alone and be comfortable.  I have noticed in the last couple of years that I work best when I work with others.  That's just me.  Tryin

But I Need My Car!

It turned out to be a day of running around the city.  I took care of my minivan; the 'check engine' light was on for the last two days.  So, I dropped the kids off at school, drove to 7-11 to get my coffee and donut, and went to the auto repair shop.  The repair man checks the car and begins giving me an oil change.  He comes back in with the bolt that seals the oil pan and says its damaged.  "You need to get it replaced."  he said. "Okay", I responded as I am sipping my coffee. About three minutes later, he returns and says, "We have to replace the entire oil pan because it is damaged.  I cannot let you drive off with it in this condition.  What are you gonna do?" I'm thinking to myself, "What do you mean, 'What am I gonna do?  I have no car!'"  I begin calling my wife only to remember that she was in an all day conference-I could only text her.  Meanwhile, the repairmen comes back in the room and says to me in his